Sunday, April 10, 2011

Handling of VIPs at Indian airports: Personal experience

Last week, I had been to Kerala on a personal visit and waiting at one of the smaller airports. I was told at the check-in counter that my Kingfisher flight's departure to Bangalore has been delayed by 15 minutes. Since such delays are normal at most airports in India, I completed the security check & was waiting in the lounge for the boarding call.

The flight was supposed to leave at 15:15 hrs and there was no sign of a boarding call even at 15:00 hrs. Since this was the only flight at that time scheduled for departure, I was a little annoyed at the delay.

At 15:05, I heard a little commotion in the departure lounge outside of the secured area. To my surprise, Mr. L.K Advani walked in with some local entourage (3-4 guys). I was surprised to see him along with his entourage walk through the security check area without being checked! All this while the CISF guys at the security check gate stood and watched. What if any of these guys were carrying arms / ammunition? Mr. Advani & his folks were not only putting their lives in danger, but also all the other folks at the airport who had gone through a thorough security check.

I am really surprised at the attitude of our VIPs who don't want to be checked. Let us assume that their time is more precious than all others. In that case, let them get priority at every counter at the airport including the security check counter. But, not going through the security check is like introducing a loophole in airport security itself. Any terrorist even with limited expertise can take advantage of this loophole & do anything.

I hear Mr. L K Advani give big speeches when it comes to national security. But he himself seems to be unaware of the dangers of the VIP treatment he is getting. Why can't he table a bill in parliament which will remove the exceptions to VIPs when it comes to security checks? I am more than 100% sure that Mr. Advani is well aware of the dangers of this security hole, but I guess, he is like any other VIP in India who likes to enjoy that special treatment.

In summary, as citizens of India we are very much vulnerable to terrorist attacks with gaping security holes like these. Is there any way out of this? May be Anna Hazare has an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment